Sara Stieben Partner
Sara is a former insurance defense attorney. Prior to working at this firm, Sara spent years working with insurance adjusters and protecting the at fault parties from liability. Sara is now in the unique position to use the knowledge she gained as an insurance defense attorney to strategically advance the interests of her injured clients in order to obtain favorable outcomes and to hold the insurance companies and at fault parties accountable.
Sara has litigated cases and negotiated settlements in the areas of bodily injury claims, premises liability, construction defect, large loss property damage claims, insurance bad faith and other general civil litigation, including business disputes, partnership dissolutions and probate. Sara’s bodily injury claims experience includes the following:
- Auto v. pedestrian accidents
- Auto v. bicycle accidents
- Auto v. large animal
- Bicycle products liability
- Wrongful death
- Tractor trailer accidents
- Commercial bus accidents
- Farm equipment related accidents
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Slip and fall
- Severe dog bites
- Assault and battery
- Gunshot wounds
- Road rage resulting in physical injury
Sara has experience handling cases which range from four figures to multi-million dollars in value. Sara’s experience includes all aspects of pre-litigation and trial work, including pre-litigation settlement negotiations, mediations, depositions, evidentiary hearings and trials. Sara has represented clients across the state of Colorado, having appeared in cases in over half of the judicial districts in Colorado.
Sara’s experience with personal injury, however, is not limited to her professional experience. Sara has personally experienced the grief that can be caused to a family as a result of severe and life altering motor vehicle collisions. Sara has first hand experience in dealing with traumatic brain injuries and their life altering consequences.
Sara is a Colorado native. Sara was raised on a farm outside of Fort Collins, Colorado. Having grown up on a farm, Sara learned from an early age that hard work and dedication are necessary components to achieving success. Sara enjoys bicycling and the outdoors. Sara recently completed the Santa Fe half century bicycle race and has bicycled to the Vail Pass summit. Sara enjoys traveling in her spare time. She has visited thirteen islands in the Caribbean Sea, traveled to several different countries, and looks forward to continued travels.
Sara is active in both state and local bar associations. She received her law degree from the University of Kansas School of Law in 2008, where she received both the Mary Anne Chambers Service Award and Class of 1949 Leadership Award. Sara was able to hone her litigation skills as early as law school where she participated in the Legal Aid Clinic and routinely represented juveniles and indigents in state and local courts. Sara also served as a municipal prosecutor early in her career.
As a Fort Collins native, Sara prides herself in giving back to the local community. Sara has volunteered as a youth basketball coach, as a mock trial coach and judge, and has served on boards for various organizations. Sara recently served the community as a Board Member of the Board of Directors for the Fort Collins Bike Co-op, which seeks to build community through bicycling. Sara is also a member of the Colorado Bar Association and Denver Bar Association Joint Management Committee, where she serves as a presidential appointee.
Sara’s Involvement in the Community
- Bike Fort Collins Board of Directors
- Northern Colorado High School Mock Trial Coordinator
- Guest Lecturer, Colorado State University
- Volunteer Mediator, Larimer County Courts
- Fort Collins Bike Co-op, Past Member
- High School Mock Trial, Past Coach, Scorer and Judge
- Colorado Bar Association, Joint Management Committee, Past Member
- ChildSafe Board of Directors, Past President
- Larimer County Women’s Bar Association Past President
- Larimer County Bar Association- Young Lawyer’s Division, Past President
- Bachelor of Arts, Colorado State University, 2005
- Juris Doctor, University of Kansas, 2008
United States Supreme Court
United States District Court, Tenth Circuit
State of Colorado
- BizWest- 40 Under 40 Honoree
- BizWest- Notable Women in the Law
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Prudential Spirit of Community Honoree
- Martindale Hubbell- AV Preeminent Rating