Insurance coverage is important to personal injury victims as it is often the only source of compensation for injuries. Insurance coverage can be difficult to understand. Navigating through insurance coverage and working with insurance carriers is important for personal injury victims. Below are typical types of insurance we work with on a regular basis:

Auto Insurance

Colorado law requires automobile owners to have liability insurance coverage for their automobiles, and the permissive users of those vehicles. In Colorado, the minimum liability limit for bodily injury is $25,000. This means that your recovery could be limited to $25,000 for your bodily injury claim. Many personal injury victims do not understand the value of their own automobile insurance for their personal injury claim.

When you are injured by the driver of another automobile, your own automobile insurance may come into play. Most automobile insurance policies provide Medical Payments coverage. You can use this coverage to pay for your medical bills when the accident is not your fault. Most policies provide $5,000 in Medical Payments coverage. Utilizing this coverage to pay for your medical bills prior to resolving your claim against the at fault party can result in more compensation for your injury claim.

Another aspect of your auto insurance policy that can provide you compensation is your uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance coverage. This is coverage you pay a premium for on your insurance policy to compensate you for injuries when you are injured by a driver who has no insurance, or inadequate insurance. Uninsured and Underinsured automobile insurance coverage is triggered when your injury claim exceeds the value of the policy limits of the person who injured you. Because Colorado requires that auto owners only have $25,000 in liability coverage, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage can play an important role in compensating you for your injuries.

Homeowner’s Insurance

Homeowners insurance and renter’s insurance includes liability coverage to protect homeowners and renters from liability for personal injury claims. If you slip and fall on another’s property, or are otherwise injured on another’s property by unintentional acts, you may be able to recover compensation through the homeowners’ or renters’ insurance policy. These policies often do not provide coverage for injuries occurring as a result of an intentional act, a business venture, or as a result of an injury by an automobile. Homeowners and renters insurance policies sometimes include Medical Payments Coverage which may compensate you for your medical bills prior to resolving your claim with the landowner or homeowner.

Commercial General Liability Coverage

Businesses often have general liability insurance for acts which occur in the furtherance of the business. Commercial General Liability insurance policies typically have $1,000,000 policy limits. Commercial General Liability policies can come into play when you are injured by another who is working at the time. For instance, if you are injured in an automobile accident by someone who is on duty at the time of the accident, the insurance coverage may be through the Commercial General Liability policy and offer higher policy limits than a typical personal automobile policy.
Insurance coverage is complex and, if not navigated properly, can result in a waiver of your rights and benefits under certain policies. At HSD Law we understand the intricacies of insurance coverage and we can use our knowledge and experience to increase your recovery from insurance carriers.